Strange heading for a blog-post, but I must admit that I couldn’t find a more appropriate one Amul has announced the launch of its 24/7 ATM. Nope, it is not Automated Teller Machine aka Any Time Money it is Any Time Milk.
Consumers have strong reasons to be excited as there is every chance of milk dispensing machines being seen across the entire nation.
I do see several positives in the entire move and there are indicators that it would work big time
- The experiment is being carried out in tier-III cities and would be expanded to tier-II and tier-I cities later on . A well thought out bottom-up approach
- The machines can be operated 24/7, a customer-focused USP which is bound to attract a lot of buzz and attention. Having said that, it remains to be seen where & how much would the milk sales be during the 10pm-6am slot.
- Density of outlets in each city would be governed by the milk consumption/demand. The beauty is that the structure and operations of each outlet would be same in each city
- Although, the market space is not purely un-contested the only competitor/similar service seems to be Mother Dairy which isn’t 24/7 and is functional in Delhi & NCR.
- The whole concept isn’t born from scratch but again adds value to the original idea..
Only downside – Whenever the evolution takes place in metros Amul outlets have to beat the heavy price of commercial location rentals
A big word of thanks to trak.in’s post which instigated me to write this piece rather than dropping a comment in the original post.