By-and-large most of us would agree with that Social media is still in a nascent stage in the Indian context and there is a lot that remains to be explored in the Social media space.
Having said that the ripples in the social media wave created by many Indians involved are ensuring that Social Media is taken to the next level.
Note: For (businesses [small or large] or individual/s) who are trying to understand the online medium and how they can use it. You should definitely follow these guys, not because some of them qualify as so-called thought leaders, but since they’re early-starters, they might have a degree of influence on your mind with their observations.
- Platform independence: Like at the global stage, Indians are not confined to usage of one platform in particular. A couple of years of ago, one could easily identify active users through blogs & discussion forums. But now the platforms have diversified, today there are Indians heavily discussing social media on twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. In other words, Social media trend-setters in India are spread across different platforms.
- Usage pattern: I think the usage varies from pure fun to serious stuff i.e. profession.
- Individuals who are doing serious business (social media as a profession)
- Individuals sharing constant news-streams.
- Individuals who are purely sharing thoughts on the value aspect of social media
- Geography: No particular region accounts for bulk of activity. There are Indians in social media who are based abroad and within India we have metros and (tier-1 & tier-2) cities.
- Ranking: Unlike the Ad Age Power 150 rankings, I think it won’t be justified to rank Indians in Social media. The idea is not to create a feeling of competition but a strong group which can collectively spread social media usage in India. Moreover, we don’t have a quality ranking system yet which goes beyond the numbers (i.e. technorati, back-links etc.) and the Indians in Social Media are still very less.
Indians in Social Media (References)
There have been several efforts in the past by many individuals to consolidate list of all the Indians who are in Social Media.
Please note: All the ratings and consolidated listings have been prepared by individuals based on their findings, observations and beliefs.
Here are some handy references which collate the names & links of Indians involved in the social media space (please feel free to add to the list below):
- Google docs spread sheet – A consolidated google-docs spread sheet listing the names of Indians in social media, their profession and URLs.
- Top Blogs Directory – The marketing & social media section in the directory of top Indian blogs.
- Social media alltop – Filtered listing of Indians from the social media blogs on alltop is a good resource, but the filtering process is cumbersome and time consuming.
- Twitter - Prepared by Gaurav, follow the social media section for a listing of influential Indians in social media on twitter. I won’t be surprised if see other such lists in the near future. (influential Indians in social media on Facebook etc.)
- Social media Blogs in India – Prepared by Sampad, this is a list of social media blogs in India. [Ignore the ranks ]
- I would propose creating a Wiki of active & influential Indians in Social media. This wiki will also categorize the names according to how they’re using social media. (Any collaborators?)
- What am I missing? – More references for Indians in Social media?