Popular social networking site “Orkut” has integrated a powerful feature which could actually kill RSS Readers. This new feature allows users to add feeds from their favorite websites thereby eliminating the need of an additional feed reader. Users can now use “edit feeds” button to add feeds from blogs, sites etc.
What does this mean
- Any user who visits your profile can see your feed channels or more appropriately your subscribed feeds.
- Users can now read the feeds from the Orkut page itself and can read full feeds if the content owner has opted to do so.
- This also contains images and hyperlink to original site.
This new feature includes the support for popular blogging platforms like blogger, wordpress, livejournal etc.
The growth of Orkut in India has been phenomenal and this new feature means
– Existing users have got more reasons to stick to Orkut.
– A possible new user base for whom Orkut could be more of a web-based feed reader.
Will Orkut eat pie of feed readers? Early days yet but this could definitely influence orkut members who use feed readers.
On the contrary, Vikas Patial’s PHP script could be a life saver for Feed Reading companies. Barely a week ago, I had read an interesting newsitem about “Orkut Scrapbook entries via RSS Feed” according to which users can read their scraps in Feed Reader. Visit techbuzz for more on that.
Diff. to stay what could be Orkut’s Strategy but one thing is clear this is win-win situation for Orkut users.
More thoughts on this please!
Thanks Mita as you sparked me to write this post 🙂