Although, Google continues to dominate the search market in U.S. I think there must be some alarm bells ringing in their mind. In the month of March 2010, there are atleast a couple of news pieces which won’t have brought joy to the Mountain View headquarters! Both of these studies were conducted by Experian Hitwise, a leader in online competitive intelligence services.
- Popularity In a blog-post dated 15th March’ 10, Hitwise had talked about Facebook displacing Google as the most popular website in US with a weekly market share of 7.07% in comparison to Google’s 7.03%
- Search Share Yesterday, in another study they announced that Google’s monthly search market share has dipped by 1%. In other words, what it means is that for the month of March 2010, around 69.97% of US searches were conducted on Google.com. Whereas, for February 2010, it stood at 70.95%.
- Sector wise trends: If we look at vertical searches, all is not lost for Google as they continue to rise in Automotive, Shopping and travel verticals. The only exception is the Health sector, whereas Bing has made rapid strides. Here is a graphic that I prepared on Hitwise study.
The study says, among the top three search engines, Google sent the most visits to the four categories below. Google’s percentage of upstream traffic grew for the Automotive, Shopping and Travel categories. Yahoo! Search saw gains in the Automotive category. Bing saw double-digit growth among three categories, including a 125 percent increase in the Health category.
Interesting times, would be equally insightful to see how the search trends for Google shape up in India.
1. Experience Hitewise Pree-release: Google received 70% of U.S. searches
2. Facebook Reaches Top Ranking in US (Via Hitwise Blog)
I discovered the news about proto.in from Arun’s latest blog-post on trak.in. Proto.in is an event focused on exciting new startups.
Like the mission statement says, it is about giving entrepreneurs a platform to express their visions and showcase their imagination, with a working prototype, for the world to see. It is about increasing partnership, collaboration and mindshare among a distinguished, qualified and well-connected audience.
This year’s event promises to be a cracker. Where-ever you’re make sure that you mark (july 18-19) dates in your calendar for Proto.in. The registrations for the event are on. You can register by pointing the url here.
If you’re lucky you can also win some free passes through various blogs. A lot of bloggers including Arun are talking about it.
The previous event was a big success, it is time to enjoy the second edition of OSSCamp🙂
Date & Venue
Saturday, December 15, 2007– Sunday, December 16, 2007
10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Delhi School of Professional Studies and Research
9, Institutional Area, Sector-25, Rohini Phase-III,
OSS Camp, Delhi is the India’s biggest FOSS based un-conference, yet. Organized on the lines of Bar Camps, OSS Camps are intense events with discussions, presentations, and interactions with the participants. Motivated by the desire of learning by sharing and to share your work with the communtiy, OSS Camps are not-for-profit events and we depend on our sponsors for covering our costs.
Click the link below